About QR Codes
Quick Response (QR) Codes are two-dimensional codes that store information in a black-and-white pattern. Easily scanned using a smartphone camera, they are a convenient way to access digital content like websites, contact information, or Wi-Fi passwords. QR Codes can be divided into two categories:
Static QR Code, once generated, cannot be converted into a Dynamic QR Code and vice versa.
This guide will help to understand the key differences between Static and Dynamic QR Codes.
Static QR Codes
The below points describe the functionalities of a Static QR Code:
- Static QR Codes are non-editable i.e. the content that you add to the QR Code can not be edited once the QR Code has been generated
- As an advantage, Static QR Codes once created work forever and they do not require an ongoing subscription with the service provider
- Static QR Codes are also non-trackable, which means you cannot track how many people have scanned your QR Code. Scan tracking is useful in use cases such as promotional campaigns
- Using the Scanova QR Code Generator tool, it is possible to generate Static QR Codes. However, This feature is not available in the free trial period, you will need a paid subscription and if you need only a Static QR Code, you can cancel your subscription post-generation
Note that the following QR Code categories available in Scanova are always Static:
- Simple Vcard
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Simple Text
- Bitcoin Address
- Text Message
Dynamic QR Codes (Recommended)
The below points describe the functionalities of a Dynamic QR Code:
- Dynamic QR Codes are URL-based QR Codes that are editable. This means the content linked to a Dynamic QR Code can be changed at any time, keeping the QR image the same hence, you don't need to print the QR Code again
- Dynamic QR Codes are trackable. You can track and view scan analytics for the Dynamic QR Codes created and saved in your account, useful for measuring engagement in marketing campaigns
- As Dynamic QR Codes have such useful functionalities they work only with an active subscription. See our Plans and Pricing, to choose the suitable plan to keep your Dynamic QR Codes active along with interesting features
Note that the following QR Code categories available in Scanova are always Dynamic:
- Social Media Links
- Vcard Profile (discontinued)
- Business Card
- Custom Page
- App Store Links
The following QR Code categories can either be Static or Dynamic (the choice is available while generating the QR Code in your Scanova account):
- Website URL
- Google Maps
Note: As the category of the Vcard Profile QR Code has been discontinued, you can change all your existing Dynamic VCard Profile QR Code to the new Business Card QR Code. For details, see: Can I update my old VCard Profile QR Code to the New Business Card QR Codes?
If you still have questions related to this topic, feel free to reach out to our customer relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.